Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Weekly Wrap - it's only a towel folks, sorry!

Add caption
I'm just a wee bit late with my Weekly Wrap but who gives a rat's ass?  Surely not me. Things are going along fairly well, considering all that's happened over the past month. If I sound a little bitter it's because I AM! 
Ok, down to the facts - there's relief to be found in the facts.


  1. Clean Diet - Can I just say, on the record here, that in the past month I have not eaten a single smartie? I am still drinking homemade juice from my juicer every morning; homemade vegetable soup of some sort for lunch (black bean this week) and a mainly veggie dinner - tonight I'm making veggie fried rice with egg and peas/carrots/onion/tomato. Can't wait! I give myself top marks in this category - no processed food, no pop, no gluten, very little dairy, very little meat. Instead of drinking coffee @ $2.00/day I am making my own "tea" at school from lemons and ginger root. For snacks I make airpopped popcorn and eat almonds.
  2. Budget - I left myself in a bit of a bind for the last two weeks of January giving myself only about $200 to cover gas and food and misc. However, my fridge is FULL of fresh fruits and veg. With only myself to feed I will not need to buy any more food til my next pay day on the 31st. Not even then. I've put in some gas and my tank is 3/4 full. That will carry me through to the 31st no problem. Barring any unforeseen emergencies I should coast into my next pay day on the $$ I have left. (About $73.00) (Plus about $20 in my wallet)
  3. $1500 shortfall in savings - Today I transferred $300 to my savings thanks to a reimbursement cheque from school. I have "found" $500 of the $1500 shortfall! YES!!
  4. Cycling - Thanks to watching "Orange is the New Black" I am having no problems cycling 15km several times per week. That makes me happy!
 Have I said how much I love my local Asian store?? This is what $23.00 gets you there: 18 yellow peppers, a 10 pound bag of red onions, several cucumbers, potatoes, apples and tangerines, a big bag full of ginger and a container of turmeric, 6 lemons. Not bad eh?

And then I went to No Frills and found some awesome deals on the "old produce" stand - this stuff is at its peak of ripeness, full of juice and perfect to put through my juicer. Oh, I just love deals like these. 
I'll never beat Sluggy for deals - in Canada this is as good as it gets! 







18 comments:

  1. Good for you for sticking to your healthy food lifestyle. What do you do with all the ginger? I cook with it occasionally but usually only buy a little nugget as that's enough for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love the towel :) And you are doing so well on the diet. I am really impressed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got that much (decent) food for how much???
    You did good, girl!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's talk peppers... why are they so expensive over here?! 10 peppers (especially yellow ones!) would cost me over $15. I buy one every so often as a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing work on the clean diet!
    Talk about will power.

    ReplyDelete
  6. those were good deals. Well done what you have achieved,

    ReplyDelete
  7. livingrichonthecheapJanuary 22, 2014 at 11:11 PM

    Great deals today! You are so right, I was happy to buy tomatoes and green peppers today for .99 cents per pound. Well done on the savings category, your healthy lifestyle now is quite cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pretty slow here in BC. I had to look at the towel for a bit to get it. Lol.
    I found you from Cindy at justnorthofwiarton from the Ontario bloggers day.
    I have spent an enjoyable evening reading your blog, I was following on about Crofters Lane. How perfect it all sounds, great job on following your dreams.
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome recap Jane! I cannot believe how well you are doing on that diet. I'm struggling with staying away from carbs and sugar. Do you feel better on that diet?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have NO cravings. And the longer I eat "clean" the stronger my willpower. I look at chocolate bars at the grocery store checkout but then I think "I've gone a month without them, I don't want to ruin things now" and I resist. I LOVE popcorn and it satisfies me while remaining low calorie. And yes, I feel so much better, my skin is better and I have more energy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome Cheri and thank you for commenting! I love meeting fellow Canadians through my blog. I am not well off by any means so it just goes to show what can be done with a plan. I started off with a 7 year plan and now have only 150+ days left. I can't believe it! I do envy west coasters as the weather is milder but my heart is on the east coast so what can I do?? Visit I guess:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It won't be so cheap in PEI but then I'll start growing my own to supplement. People may thing I'm strange buying so many peppers but they provide a LOT of juice through my juicer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually go through onions pretty quickly as Kazi loves them too. She makes a salad out of chopped onion, cucumber and tomatoes which is quite delicious and I put onions in pretty much everything I make. They are such a versatile vegetable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Gill - I'm not sure why the Asian store can sell produce so cheaply but they do and I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Willpower increases in direct response to length of time spent "clean" eating. I've read many times that after a short time of "clean" eating cravings dwindle and I find that is true. Previously I never could stick with it long enough to find that out, until now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This store sells peppers individually but once they pass their "prime" they put 6 in a package and sell them for $1.00! Perfect for juicing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Jane - I'm eating mostly a veggie diet now and am feeling better for it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I did a double take when I saw that towel - thought it was real! Darn.Not so much a diet as a change in lifestyle - hope I can keep it up over the long run!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!