Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Three Bean Meatless Chili is Sooooo Good!



Mmmmm, I just finished a yummy bowl of that Three Bean Chili I linked to yesterday at the Meatless Monday website. I guess that makes this Meatless Tuesday not Meatless Monday but who cares? Not me.

Man I'm a good cook. Either that or this is just an extra-good recipe. But I think it's me.

Course, I didn't know what "northern beans" were, and didn't see any at the grocery store so I substituted black beans. And I didn't see any "small red beans" either so I used brown beans. (Actually, truth be told I didn't have the recipe with me when I was grocery shopping after school today so I sorta winged it.)

I didn't have any tomato sauce either so used a half jar of leftover roasted red pepper spaghetti sauce along with the can of diced tomatoes. And I doubled the amount of chili powder (could still use a smidgen more I think). Then of course I had to add some frozen corn as my daughter likes corn in her chili and really, who doesn't?

So I guess I didn't really follow the recipe at all except that there are three kinds of beans in my chili.....oh and I did grate some cheddar on top of my bowl before shovelling it into my pie hole.

Oh well, maybe next time.

2 comments:

  1. LOL You're as bad as I am with all the subbing but hey whatever works! No way I'm driving to the store for spaghetti sauce when I have seasoned diced tomatoes and tomato paste and water..I was actually surprised that spaghetti turned out so well but it was among the best I've had! :-) that chili recipe sounds delish. I *think* great northern beans are also called 'navy beans' though why they're called navy when they're white is beyond me! I went nuts trying to find them for a white bean soup with spinach recipe that started from scratch with dried beans ...good thing the soup was worth it! though next time I think I'll try to cheat with canned beans..hmm..I have pretty much what I need to make that in the pantry and freezer though I just browned lean hamburger meat and have enough chicken breasts..I made chicken enchiladas tonight and had extra cooked chicken...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!