Monday, April 13, 2009

Meatless Monday - Chili Anyone?



A week ago Tami, from the Meatless Monday website said "skipping meat one day a week reduces your saturated fat intake by 15%, which is an easy way to decrease your risk of illness." I know she's right because my daily newspaper once again ran an article about the recent study released by the U.S. National Cancer Institute. (Not much news on Easter Monday, I guess)

However, the point is worth repeating - the more red meat you eat the highter the risk of heart disease, strokes and cancer, particularly colon cancer. I won't get into the yucky details about your colon, just trust me on this one.

Today is Chili Monday over on the Meatless Monday website and here's a link for a meatless chili recipe that I'm going to try!

Here's a short blurb from the Meatless Monday website:
Meatless Monday is a national public health campaign to help Americans prevent heart disease, stroke and cancer. The goal of the campaign is to reduce the consumption of saturated fat in America by at least 15% by 2010 – by encouraging people to be moderate in their eating and meal planning. Meatless Monday is a non-profit organization working in association with Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Twenty-eight other public health schools across the country also support the campaign. The campaign provides tools and resources to help Americans cut the saturated fat once a week. Beyond Monday, Meatless Monday helps Americans make other healthy lifestyle choices, too.

To find out more about Meatless Monday, check out our website every week: www.meatlessmonday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!