and here's what I found:
- instead of 3/4 cup of shortening I substituted 1/2 cup olive oil
- I cut back the sugar from 3/4 cup to half a cup
- I substituted low-fat vanilla soy milk for regular milk
- instead of all purpose flour I used whole wheat flour
- in addition to the usual raisins I added dried cranberries, sunflower seeds and a few dark chocolate chips (my daughter refuses to eat anything with seeds, but she didn't even notice there were any!! She'll eat anything if it has chocolate chips in it lol! haha fooled ya!)
Never having messed with a recipe before I didn't know if they would "stick together" or crumble apart or what, but as you can see they turned out quite nicely and were gobbled up faster than any other oat scones/squares I've baked. So my next experiment will be to try some different non-gluten types of flours - like rice flour, or soy flour to see what happens.
THIS is FUN - kind of like playing with a chemistry set without the instructions but definitely better tasting!