Sunday, January 24, 2016

Cauliflower and Potato Casserole

Hey Val! 

I did a copy and paste of the cauliflower casserole i made last week. Also, if you click on the recipe title it will take you to the website hopefully. I tried to print but wasn't successful even though there is a send to print button on the page. 

I really enjoyed this recipe though kazi said "where's the meat?" 


hee hee...little does she know I am going to continue to make meatless dinners at least twice a week! My search for cauliflower recipes that could be used as a main course brought me to this website - http://ni.lovefoodhatewaste.com/.  Check out this blog if your are interested in fantastic recipes with NO waste! And she's from Ireland! Meatless meals are good for my budget and good for the environment.  This week, in order to use the 2nd of my 2 for $5.00 cauliflower deal I'm going to make "mashed cauliflower" to serve as a side dish for roast chicken! 

One thing about this recipe is I found the leek and cheese sauce to be quite thick so I ended up adding more milk, and then more cheese, and then more milk, and then more cheese :)

Cauliflower and cheesey Bake

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 small cauliflower, broken into small florets
  • 2-3 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
  • 2 medium leeks, washed and sliced
  • 4 tablespoons plain flour
  • 400ml milk
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 85g / 3oz grated cheddar cheese
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

METHOD:

  1. In a steamer if you have one, boil the potatoes in the bottom pan and steam the cauliflower – or boil each in separate pans until just cooked
  2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in saucepan and saute the leeks until soft
  3. Stir in the flour and cook for two minutes
  4. Add the milk, stirring all the time
  5. Continue stirring until the milk has thickened and boiled
  6. Add the paprika and half the cheese
  7. In a lasagne type dish, place the potatoes in the bottom. Add the cauliflower on top.
  8. Pour the leek and cheese sauce over the top
  9. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese
  10. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C for about 30 minutes until browned
  11. Serve hot with a vegetable or salad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!