Monday, August 13, 2018

Seesters and Brudda: By the numbers



It's been ages since I did a "by the numbers" post. So....here goes!
  • My first post after my blogging break was #1300!!
  • I have been retired for 1505 days!
  • I have two sisters and two brothers - ALL older than me. Yes, I'm the baby of the family! My two sisters are 9 and 12 years older than me. My brothers are four and seven years older. 
  • I'm visiting one sister and one brother this week...in Bracebridge, ON (Santa's Village!) My other brother and I are going to Scotland soon and I hope to see my other sister at Christmas in PEI though Kazi has a new job and we'll have to see if we can make it happen. 
  • Bracebridge is about a 4 hour drive and at one time both of my sisters lived there.
  • We leave for Scotland in 30 days!
  • Yesterday I rode my bike for 26.7kms :)
  • I used points to purchase a $100 Esso card and two $50 grocery store cards (the budget is tight this month!)
  • My property tax went down $7 per month! Woohoo!
  • My cell phone bill will be increasing by about $15, so much for the previous savings of $7. I added unlimited long distance minutes anywhere in Canada.
  • My natural gas bill was a mere $32 in August...but my electricity bill went over budget by $2.37 due to running the A/C. Considering how deathly hot it's been here for weeks and weeks I'm surprised my bill wasn't sky high!!
  • So far this month I've spent a whopping $44 on food plus $7 for lemon tarts to share with my Scotland bound brother. Lemon is his favourite - I go to his place for tea every other Thursday and to make plans for the Scotland trip. 
  • I have gone to Dairy Queen THREE times so far this month- I only get a plain cone as it has the least amount of calories!!
  • And speaking of calories - between eating better (most of the time), cutting out a few things like bread & pasta and riding my bike almost every day I have lost 10% of my overall weight!! I haven't been below 130lbs in 15 years!! 
  • I don't think I'll have any $$ to put into savings this month but that's ok. I paid off well over $1,000 on my Mastercard to cover new hiking boots ($423), almost $200 at the Mountain Equipment Company, Greyhound bus tickets to get us to Toronto's Pearson airport, travel insurance and an early birthday dinner with Kazi. Never fear...I clear off my Mastercard every month and pay no interest. 
  • I also did some thrifting with my friend Jules; photos in my next post. Can't remember how much I spent but it wasn't much!
Thus ends "By the Numbers" August edition :)

7 comments:

  1. I envy you having a good relationship with your siblings. Has it always been that way?

    ~ Freckles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are all good things. I get the small cup of chocolate ice cream at DQ when I get ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have had our ups and downs Freckles. One brother went through a phase of religious fervour and tried to make us all become "born again"; and there were a few other issues over the years. But we have all mellowed out and are accepting of each other's differences and characteristics. When I was a little kid I thought our family was "perfect"; since then I've realized we're just a normal family.

    Linda: welcome; you know...I've never tried the chocolate!! I bet it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your weight loss! I cannot believe you are over 1500 days from when you retired, I remember that countdown. Lemon tarts, those bloody things are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 4 years!!!!!! It's been 4 years since you've retired? I found your blog because I was 5 years out from retirement, and also a teacher, and wanted to follow along with your journey. Now my retirement is at the end of this school year:) Enjoy Scotland - can't wait to see pictures. And those must be some hiking boots. For that price I hope it feels like you're walking on clouds;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, am a retired teacher. I have been fortunate enough since retiring to work and live in many parts of the world but have never been to Scotland. I am really looking forward to seeing your pictures as well. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim - oh my gosh!! One more year for you - how times does fly! Perhaps you'll have time to set up a blog :)
    The hiking boots are pretty nice - I've had this make and model before and they are very comfortable as well they should be considering the price.

    Paul - welcome! Lots of retired teachers out there :) It isn't just a simple thing to walk out of that classroom door for the last time is it!? I found the transition somewhat difficult, especially the first year. I still have dreams about school and really miss it...sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!