Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Hellooooo! I'm in the house!!

I've come to the conclusion that I don't like being inside in nice weather.  Which would make me just like my dad. I start feeling anxious and feel like I'm wasting my day if I do things inside when the sun is shining! There's nothing wrong with being out and about for hours on end; for my dad it  meant that he would head out of the house at the crack of dawn and my mom wouldn't see him until lunch as she slept longer than he did - like til 8am!  After lunch and a perusal of the newspaper he would usually head out again until it was supper time unless he had things around the house to do like mow the lawn, feed the chickens, paint the house, tar the roof or change the oil in his car.

As he got old older he hired others do to those sorts of tasks but he NEVER stopped spending most of each day outside. And for him any day was a good weather day whether it be summer or winter. In fact he was even busier outside during the winter as he would drive around the countryside refilling the many bird feeding stations he had set up or he'd install a few bird boxes to give birds shelter in bad weather and a place to lay their eggs in the spring.
Dad loading up the bird feeding stations.

My dad suffered from severe depression and anxiety and in his last few years he also had OCD. I like to think that being out in nature everyday helped him cope, just like it does for me.

So when I go missing from my blog it's because I am driven to be outside. I have to check out my beloved Kilally Meadows to see what's blooming and to listen to the birds. I have to go biking on the trails and I have to play beach volleyball (except for when it's +40c and 100% humidity!! - like yesterday...then I bike instead :) (or head to the beach!)
Tansy - the latest addition to my little guide on wildflowers in Kilally Meadows.
Monarch blissing out on Joe Pye weed...at the beach!

PS: Anne - no Disquis commenting!

3 comments:

  1. I hibernate when the weather is like this, I HATE the heat and humidity, it doesn't agree with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your time outside. I spend a lot of time outside as well, but even in winter needs a bit of time feeding my birds and puttering around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And she posts! Summer is for being outside, no doubt about it. I've been outside a lot this summer too, especially the last 3 weeks as work has slowed as our clients are out vacationing. My hair is turning blonder (I was a white blonde kid when summer hit) so no shelling out for streaks until October to cover my greys. If you think about it, the most fantastic things happen outside - sunrise, sunset, beaches, creatures, growing things, all terribly good for mental health

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!