Monday, August 20, 2018

Back from Bracebridge


Bracebridge is in the area of Northern Ontario known as Muskoka - it's known for its 1600+ lakes and rivers as well as tons and tons of rock, as opposed to soil.  Farming is next to impossible so the area has become famous for being "cottage country" instead. For the second year we stayed in a large red brick house that was at one time the General Store of Utterson, about a 15 minute drive from Bracebridge where one of my sisters lives.
 She can only drive short distances due to a back injury suffered many years ago so we go to her instead of her coming to London.  Some of you many remember me writing about a nephew who had a severe motorcycle crash - it's this sister's oldest son. He received 23 "major traumas" to his body and is recovering still - 5 or 6 years later. He is also diabetic (discovered when he was a little boy) which also hinders his recovery. 
So she is struggling somewhat as he has his own home but can't look after it so my sister, in spite of her own injury, looks after him a fair bit as he is in a wheelchair at present. 
But we had a great visit and made the best of things. However, we'll have to look for a different Airbnb next year...my brother and I loved the old house in Utterson and developed a routine of walking each morning past Long's Lake...but part of the reason we stayed in Utterson was that there was a variety store and take out food place right across the street from the house and we LOVED their greek salads and french fries (not to mention their fantastic butter tarts and ice cream) - BUT THEY HAVE CLOSED!! Darn!  There's only about 6 houses in Utterson so it's understandable that they couldn't make a go of it.

My brother makes me laugh as you can see...
I was extremely fortunate this year to receive no black fly or mosquito bites!! They went after my brother instead - thanks bro! 
 The house has a large front porch and we each bought some salads and roasted chicken and basically had a picnic every evening on the porch. We explored downtown Bracebridge as usual and bought books at the used book store. We always check out the Re-Store as well and found a few treasures. Of course no hot and humid summer day would be complete without a mid-afternoon pause at the many pubs serving local craft beer!

We were early to bed so that we could get in our brisk morning walks and much needed showers afterwards! 


 We walked on a paved road but there wasn't much traffic except for one day when a long line of old classic cars drove by us on their way to Gravenhurst for a boat ride (the people not the cars!)
I showed my sister my yoga app and we worked through the positions that have helped me with my bad back. She wasn't in worse pain the next day so I hope she'll keep it up. Each day the sun shone brightly except for the day we drove home - we drive on the back roads in order to avoid the major cities, like Toronto, which got flooded from heavy rain for the 2nd time in a few days!

It's a bit further and takes quite a bit longer driving on the back roads but the countryside and villages are gorgeous and much less stressful. 

I'll have a few more photos tomorrow, so stay tuned!

6 comments:

  1. That's rought about your sister and nephew. I am glad you had a good visit and missed all of that nasty Toronto deluge, unreal how much rain happened in such a short period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh what beautiful country! Oh and your brother has your eyes - quite a giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheapchick - yes, it was pretty scary in Toronto, especially those two guys stuck in an elevator! That was a close call!
    Treaders - I'm going to have to stare at that picture of my brother and I - no one has ever said that before:) though he and I do look like my mom's side of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend of mine had some pretty severe back problems, and tried Svaroopa yoga, which is very gentle. I don't know if that would help your sister, but my friend really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What yoga app are you using? I am looking for one for beginner's.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!