Wednesday, December 2, 2015

York and Heading Home



 Today, my last full day in York, was my shopping day. Not that I bought a lot. I purchased a couple of tops in Fatface - I really liked this store and wish it wasn't only in the UK. I also bought a couple of things in H&M. Overall I was really quite restrained. I bought some English toffee which almost didn't make it home and a big 1.4 litre bottle of scotch when I got to the duty free store which I am still enjoying - and that was it. Oh, and a book which will be a Christmas present.


It was a day for exploring several snickleways...



and saying goodbye to the ever present and awe inspiring Yorkminster.

 I focussed on architectural features that caught my attention and interesting details like Minerva, the goddess of wisdom and drama...

 ...a cat climbing a brick wall...

 ...a whale spouting off up on another wall...

...found this bit of sensible philosophy in a window of metal wall signs: Life is like riding a bike, to keep your balance you must keep moving! (attributed to Albert Einstein) I liked the message - YES, I'll keep moving!

 This lovely fellow was above the entrance of a very deluxe old theatre. What does he see that is upsetting him so?

The inevitable "reflection" photos...


 I explored a few more churches... this one was really old and needed a lot of work - a fundraising campaign was in progress...

Pew boxes!

The carvings were quite primitive...


 I ate my lunch in the beautiful and peaceful churchyard...

This older gent had some music playing and he danced his way into our pockets hearts!

...the old and the new...

This photo has a postcard feel to it...

I could live here - a huge house on the river with my own tower ruins! Perfection!

The signs of fall are everywhere...

 While I leaned over a bridge I took a few photos of people enjoying the final remnants of the sun...



 The sun still reaches the cathedral but the narrow streets are getting darker.

Goodbye to the old city and the River Ouse - it's been a wonderful visit! 

Goodbye Micklegate! My favourite landmark!

And here I am after a quick flight from Manchester to Heathrow, then Heathrow to Toronto.  My daughter was waiting for me and we enjoyed a magnificent sunset as we headed west to London.
Home sweet home! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!