Monday, November 3, 2014

Off to Chipping Camden

It was uphill all the way to Broadway Tower. There had been a wee bit of rain in the night and some dark clouds were still lurking about...but not for long...


Part way up and the sun is already peeking out...

 ...and what do I always say?? Don't forget to look BACK!!  Good-bye Broadway!

 By the time I got to the top of the hill, an elevation of around 900ft I had removed a couple of layers and needed a drink of water. How thoughtful of someone to put a bench right where I needed it!! And what a view!!

I can't believe I just climbed all the way up from Broadway!

 The view from the bench - incredible!

I am feeling very fortunate at this moment :) Little ol' me - on top of the world!

 I had a bit further to climb before catching my first glimpse of Broadway Tower through the trees.

 Looks rather foreboding in this light and behind a fence - more like the Tower of London than a dwelling place.

 A gargoyle or two here - not too friendly looking either!

 In its 200+ years of existence Broadway Tower, built 1794, has been the site of a beacon, then a hardscrabble farm, later it housed a printing press and had many illustrious visitors, mostly those of Pre-Raphaelite fame - William Morris & Edward Burne Jones, then was the location of a nuclear bunker during WWII and beyond and finally became a museum of its fascinating history.
 

 After exploring the museum I went outside on the uppermost level to get some photos...

(hah! my foot blends right in with the step!)

...where I was able to see 16 counties thanks to a clearing sky, plus the path I was to take next...

 ...and as an added bonus I could see all the way to the Black Mountains of Wales!!

 I would LOVE to go to Wales!

Back down on the ground and with a blue sky the tower doesn't look quite so scary now...

...almost homey?

 ...and now off to Chipping Camden and leaving Broadway Tower behind...

...or perhaps I should go to Wales??

...a moment of indecision...I know darn well I could walk there!!

...no, better keep on my designated path...after all my suitcase will be in Chipping Camden!

 ...okay, all silliness aside! :) ...here are just a few of the paths I took on today's journey - I loved them all!  Through forests...
and fields...


...through farms...

...and I took a longer route so that I could experience the views from the top of Dover's Hill...WOW!!

 It was an extra 2-3km but well worth it!!


 ...and back to the path...

...catching a glimpse of Chipping Camden...

...still so much beauty in bloom...

...and now it's time to descend into the village...

...and a lovely village it is...


Here I am at my hotel - The Noel Arms!

Easily my favourite spot to stay...quaint but with all the mod cons...

...the only problem was it was so large and rambling that I kept getting lost!! Yes, I can find my way through the English countryside, forests and fields but I had trouble finding my hotel room, not once but several times...I ended up in the laundry room on one adventure!

 MY FIRST BATH TUB!!!!! I HAD THE MOST GLORIOUS SOAK!!

 Looking for the way out!
 Next up - exploring Chipping Camden...

1 comment:

  1. That hotel was AMAZING!! What a gorgeous place to stay.
    I love the picture of your shadow. You are too cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!