Saturday, November 1, 2014

Must get to Broadway...

 I left off yesterday communing with some horses...
 I got to walk through a sweet little village but due to how far I had to go still I didn't stop to have lunch, not that I encountered anywhere to eat...

And then back into the countryside once again...oh, got my head in the photo!

I love the ancient footbridges...

and the idyllic fields...

 Do you suppose I could just live in a field?
 
I could cuddle up to a woolly sheep or two if it got cold...

 Right about here there was supposed to be a carved swan's head on the upcoming gate to be used as a landmark....

but, sadly, it was gone...however I did espy an interesting sitting spot that could be used as a landmark instead!! It certainly caught my eye!

 I passed a church and spotted what was one of my favourite carvings - I can hardly call this dashing courtier a gargoyle can I?

 Lots of tiny villages in this area, close together, but not the one I'm stopping at tonight...

I promised myself that I wouldn't stop to take many pictures as I had so far to travel today but...IMPOSSIBLE!

 This village had lots of thatched cottages in it...


 I had to turn right at this monument..

 ...and carry on through the village...


 ...and along this walled in pathway...

 Hello again my fuzzy friends!

 It was around here that I found a log to sit on and quickly ate some lunch that I carried with me...I had quite a few dining partners!
What a view!

Here's a tiny estate I walked by!
 Yup, same place...

 One of the few churches I DIDN'T explore...must keep walking...

 And so I did...happily the weather cooperated with me again and the walk was so enjoyable...I did have some trouble though with my pack creating grooves in my shoulders during this LONG walk, especially the right shoulder so I tried shifting some things around which helped a little bit...

 I'm getting closer to my destination! There in the distance is Broadway Tower - a place I'll visit on tomorrow's walk as I leave the village of Broadway.

 And yes, there is the village of Broadway making its first appearance...

...zooming in...

 I want you to really appreciate this picture because I took a step back...then another step back...

...tripped over a tree root and fell into this bush which might possibly be "stinging nettles" as my arm and hand got hot and itchy - I took a photo of the bush just in case I needed to seek medical attention later in town. That evening I got out my sewing needle and managed to get a few "pickers" out of the palm of my hand. The rest waited til I got home - they're all gone now:)

We'll hope that was a lesson to me to be more careful ;) but I doubt it... when it comes to capturing photos I do tend to take chances...

 I'm all the way down the hill now and following a well-marked path right straight to that church.

 What a beautiful spot...

 Three photos of a thatched house to show the chicken wire that helps it to maintain its shape. Just past this home and across the street was a pub - what a wonderful sight! For the past 5km I've kept myself going by promising myself I would stop for a very large and icy gingerale at the first spot I could find. Well, I found the pub and enjoyed that gingerale more than I can adequately describe!


I found my B&B which was a very quirky old 16th century cottage. The owner, Delia, was a devoted gardener and this is her knot garden. She made me tea upon my arrival, bless her, complete with shortbread. After my LONG walk I much appreciated it and felt quite revived a half hour later to explore the beautiful High St. of Broadway. There were some great shops and I purchased a few gifts for Kazi and a few other people (currently hidden away and waiting for Christmas!)

 This is Delia's cottage...

...and the laneway leading up to it, too narrow for cars! Of course they didn't have cars in the 16th century when it was built!

 This is Peel house and I took its photo because it had such a large front lawn, something not usually seen on the narrow roads with cottages right up against the roads.

...more like this for example...

 Just a couple shots of High St. where I had dinner and shopped for a little while.



 I had a luscious "seasonal salad" with chicken and these strange red berries - I don't know what they were but they were tender and tart and delicious! And to wash it all down - Sharp beer. Yum.

I loved my room - everything matched. You can see my sweaty clothing hanging on a pipe to dry:) Everything was tiny and I had to duck down to get into the room. The floors were a bit tilty too which is to be expected in such an ancient place.
Tiny TV...
 Tiny sitting area...
A tiny alcove...

Look at that door! Can't be anymore than 5' high.
 ...and the beams!


and the tiniest bathroom ever - can't even get a good photo!

But it was all very cozy and I slept well.  This is a shot out the bathroom window - it's a bit wet out there this morning though not currently raining.  Delia gave me a bowl of the BEST OATMEAL which a large dollop of her homemade jelly in it to sweeten it up a bit. Loved it. And at breakfast I met a couple from Newfoundland - they were doing just a 3 day walk and I didn't see them again.

 Here's my breakfast table and behind it the stone fireplace...

Here comes the sun!! Just in time for my walk to Chipping Camden with a stop at Broadway Tower.

The path is tucked in between these two houses...

But before I get on the path I must bid farewell to enchanting Broadway...

All right - off I go! Broadway Tower here I come!!



3 comments:

  1. They weren't stinging nettles,but IF they were..then rubbing a dock leaf on the skin will take the pain away.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO when are you planning your next trip?

    ReplyDelete
  3. livingrichonthecheapNovember 2, 2014 at 1:12 PM

    A Jane sized cottage lol :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!