Due to the terrible events of the past week or two I haven't posted much. So...I'll get back into the swing of things by recapping January's budget.
What went well: (almost everything)
- the cost-of-living increase in my teacher's pension was TO THE DOLLAR exactly equal to the increases in my bills: property tax, condo fee and insurance! Sometimes the system works. That allowed the increase in my Canada Pension Plan ($8.00 whoopdedoo!) to be added to my savings.
- Saving $1,000 per month is very doable. Tsf'd $1100 in January to savings. (Travel fund:)
- Overestimates in utilities put $46 back into my misc budget line. It's just not been that cold so far this winter.
- Didn't have to pay property taxes this month as I am on a 10 month schedule. Went to savings instead.
- Overpaid insurance so received a credit in January and NO payment til Feb. Extra went to savings.
- Received investment income. Rolled it over.
- Due to various bits and bobs my misc spending budget was $675 in January!! Out of that I saved enough to buy 250 pounds sterling!
- Received GST refund ($105 4 x a year) put it into savings
- Came in under budget for gas $75/$100 & groceries $255/$280. Extra went to misc.
- Even with that I finished January with $31 in my chequing account. Added that to February's budget.
What didn't go quite as well but wasn't too bad considering!
- $60 for eye doctor because of Posterior Vitreous Detachment issue - have a checkup in a week which is also covered by the $60 payment already made. Don't feel too upset about that bill!
- $37 for a prescription
January was a great month!!
Misc spending covered:
- two meals out (Hong Ping with a friend & Swiss Chalet with my neighbour - an annual Christmas treat)
- Wine and Food Show
- Purchased Amazon Prime for a year which also includes Amazon Prime Video streaming. Comes to less than $7.00/month
- Art supplies ordered through Amazon (free shipping :)
- added $ to my Tim's card and my Starbucks card
- Home Depot materials to fix electrical outlet
- Walmart - craft supplies (political sign-making)
- Google storage
- 250 pounds sterling
Stay tuned for February's budget recap when I proceed to spend twice what I saved in January!!
(Scotland trip is shaping up!!)