Friday, February 20, 2015

Extreme Cold Warning....still in effect!


Extreme Cold Warning

Issued at 10:48 a.m. EST Thursday 19 February 2015
Summary
Bitterly cold arctic air has once again returned to Southern Ontario. Strong and gusty northwest winds will combine with the frigid temperatures to produce extremely cold wind chill values of minus 30 to minus 35 today through Friday morning. People outdoors should
...More details

Yesterday was a stay inside day and today isn't any warmer! We are amusing ourselves by throwing seeds out onto the snow in the patio area and watching the squirrels fight over them. Luna and Lily are absolutely glued to the patio doors! Do I know how to have fun or what!?!

This morning I had to take out the recycling and it was a struggle just to breathe let me tell you! I'll have to find another DIY project to keep myself busy like I did yesterday. I'm so happy with my fix-it job!! I had this kitchen cabinet door that squeaked/groaned horrendously every time we opened it, which was frequently as it's the door that has the garbage bin behind it. A week ago I thought that if I squirted some WD40 on the hinges I could make the squeak/groan go away. No such luck, in fact, I made matters worse because then the hinges were so slippery the door wouldn't stay open. I'd open the door, grab a plate to scrape and the door would be closed!!

So yesterday I took the door off and took off the hinges - turns out one of them was broken. At least that's what my carpenter's helpers told me...

..and they did a very good inspection! 


Off I went to the local Home Hardware store and bought new hinges...so far so good...

...but there was a slight problem - the new screws were a lot smaller than the old screws...they're not going to work very well in the old holes made by the much fatter screws!! Nope, door fell right off again!

I started digging through my large supply of differently sized screws but most were too long as I had less than an inch of depth to work with...

So I wondered about anchors...but again they were too long for the depth I had to work with and stuck out...

So...I flexed my muscles and tried forcing the old fat screws through the slightly smaller openings in the new hinges and it worked!! I didn't think they'd line up properly with the old holes but they did!!  Once in a while things go right!!

Ta da!! The door is back on and nary a sound does it make...

and it stays open!! Amazing how such a little thing can improve the quality of my life - no more groaning, no more closing when my back is turned!!

After that I carved for awhile and then did my first bit of sanding - it's looking good! I
also made a big pot of leek and potato soup which I'm going to have RIGHT NOW!!
A productive day:)

6 comments:

  1. I'd love to join you for some of that potato and leek soup! Mmmmmm.... I'm glad it worked out for you with that cupboard door. I think I would have been stuffing wooden toothpicks in the hole, lots of them. But as it sits, I do no repairs since Gary is so handy. Sometimes, I sneak in a repair here and there. It never ends well and I eventually get found out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are a lot handier than I am well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! I am the handy one (hubby not so much) in our household although he tries, I have way more patience. Doesn't it feel good to make something work better in your house? So self sufficient you are! I managed to clean out my spice cabinet yesterday and bake muffins - that was it as my puppy has been consuming lots of time with potty training and keeping him occupied. Oh Well, it is fun and he is only a puppy for a short period of time. Have a great weekend Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my, that really is a cold day. Glad you have lots to keep you occupied. Great job with the door, I'm terrible at fix its. I would have just ignored till the bitter end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you cook and do repair work? Hmmmm, I have a very long to do list for you at my house!!! I'll make you drinks in exchange!!
    It hit 34 here to day and felt like summer. I hate winter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am impressed! P.s you should post on Facebook like info for each new blog post you release, then I won't miss any! 😄

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!