Thursday, February 18, 2010

Financial Report

I know it's only a number but 1595 days until retirement just looks and sounds so much closer than 1600! And if I convert that into years it works out to a ridiculously small number -"4.37"!! BUT, counting in years vs. days just moves waaaayyyyyy toooooo slowly. I'm the type of person who needs to see results frequently, like, everyday:) hence the daily counter. And it is motivating to see the number of days drop everytime I post on my blog.


Of course, my mythical retirement all hinges upon meeting my personal financial goals. Therein lies the rub, so to speak. If I don't meet my savings goals and my debt repayment goal the daily counter doesn't mean a thing. So I have to say setting goals in order to retire early is a huge motivator - the "payoff" is so rewarding that I examine my bank accounts on a daily basis. I eagerly watch my line of credit go down and my savings go up as weekly payments to both occur. It would take a great catastrophe to make me miss a payment or adjust my goals in any way, shape or form. And hopefully, through setting up an emergency account with a weekly deposit, I will be ready for most catastrophes (within reason).....


That being said, I am considering making an adjustment to the amounts I am saving and repaying by increasing the payments to my line of credit and decreasing the amount I am saving. In the long run it wouldn't make any difference to my savings as an earlier debt repayment date would allow me to more than double what I am saving now each month plus it would have the added bonus of reducing the amount of interest I pay on my LOC. So I would be ahead of the game eventually. The other reason for doing this is that interest rates look to be rising in the next year or so and I really don't want to pay more in loan interest. So a win-win scenario to my way of thinking.


Just by adding on another $20 per week to my LOC payment I would be debt-free in 4 years rather than 4.5 years...imagine.


I think I've just talked myself into it!

2 comments:

  1. sounds good! I hate being in debt..once I paid off all but the house/car it was such a relief. now I just try to keep up with it monthly and I can't wait until the car is paid off! I thought about prepaying on it but with the economy here so bad I feel I need to build some savings just in case I'm out of work or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    I just wanted to let you know that we have launched a new website: www.globalmoneyportal.com . We want to create an easier way for people to share and promote the great information that’s out there.

    Your blog has been selected; we hope it will bring quality traffic to your interesting blog.

    It would be great if you could link back to us as well to let people know about this new website :-)

    Simple link:

    URL: www.globalmoneyportal.com
    Title: International Finance

    or if you prefer you’ll find a series of more colorful widgets - stickers on this page as well

    www.globalmoneyportal.com/badges

    We look forward to sharing more information with you.

    Let me know if you need anything.

    Kind regards,

    Elyse Cameron
    www.globalmoneyportal.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!