Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Fun Stuff...

....not really.

I got one of those follow up phone calls to schedule a doctor's app't after having a mammogram recently. After years of normal mammograms it was a bit of a shock though I know I shouldn't worry as it's likely nothing but still I worry.... after all, I AM my mother's daughter!

Recently I signed up for "My Pocket Health" which provides me with unlimited access to my medical imaging records online and goes back years and years. After a one time $5.00 fee I can actually look at and print any x-ray, MRI, ultrasound and mammogram (plus accompanying remarks, diagnosis and recommendations) I've ever had! What a great service! So I went online and had a look at my last mammogram. There are two issues: abnormal breast density (which is common) and focal asymmetry (which is also common).  With abnormally high density, which shows up on the scan as white, it can prevent masses from being seen as they also show up white. White on white - who thought that was a good idea?

And the focal asymmetry could mean there is a mass but it can't be seen in a regular x-ray so I'll likely have to have an ultrasound or MRI after consulting with my doctor. What this all boils down to is there could be small lumps lurking around waiting to pounce that can't be seen. 

Do I feel better knowing? YES! I'm one of those people who'd rather know than NOT know. I feel quite sure that after more imaging I'll be told there's nothing to worry about. I might have to have more frequent mammograms and I can live (literally) with that. Right now I don't feel any foreign masses invading my body - gotta stay positive!

8 comments:

  1. I am with you, I would rather look at my own stuff with my own eyes (plus the drs). When we had our accident early October I was sure I had a cracked sternum so asked to see my exray, he pulled it up and looked over every inch with me, I felt so much better about that. I need to do an annual exam, have not had one in over a year now. Never be afraid of tests, they just help diagnose things faster or not at all if everything is ok

    ReplyDelete
  2. What sorts of things can you see with this service? I've never heard of it. We're also in Ontario--it will give us results here?
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've started to think more and more about my health. Good for you being your best advocate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done and thank you for sharing this. Such a sensible, rational approach at a time when some of us might just crumble. Am sure all will be well but sending positive thoughts regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you, I want to know too. Once I made my mind up to retire I decided to get all the "necessary" tests done so that I could retire with peace of mind. Nobody particularly likes these tests I suppose but as Sam said, if there is anything wrong you can get treated quicker. Oh, and I see our troll is out and about again! Luckily I get to review my comments before they are published so just delete as they come in. Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you, I want to know stuff because the sooner it's caught, the better it can be dealt with. I have a colleague who's the opposite - 'I don't want to know'. Hope it's not serious and it's just due diligence! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone - I'll keep you posted. It helps to have support!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!