Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Dark as the Grave



Hello darkness, my old friend,
I've come to talk with you again,
Because a vision softly creeping,
Left its seeds while I was sleeping,
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

Simon & Garfunkel

I am acknowledging the "darkness" inside of us all today...as I think I read that word in almost everyone's post. More to do with the darkness of the day (dark as the grave) but also people's state of mind. 

The alarm went off...I went back to sleep. I got up and fed the cats, they were grateful, and then they went back to my bedroom and back to sleep. I don't think they realize that it's daytime. But then, how can they went the day is dark as a tomb!!

Could it be any darker? (said in a Chandler Bing voice!)

Today I made a poster in support of "The Women's March in Washington"taking place on Saturday, Jan. 21st.  I have friends marching in Washington and friends marching in Toronto. I'm sticking to the march here in London, ON as I have plans later in the day (I'm marching to the FOOD & WINE Show with friends!!) It'll be my first big day of somewhat normal activity. As long as I don't trip, fall and conk my head I should be OK. I actually did fall last year as I attempted to climb a huge snow bank in the parking lot (in the DARK!) instead of walking further down the street to the entrance of said parking lot. I'll be more careful this year. It's going to be so mild anyways that I'll be dodging puddles not snow piles.

In addition to poster-making I made a big pot of soup - it's a new recipe that I found in the London Free Press and includes sweet potatoes and chickpeas. It's quite pleasant - not dark at all! Tonight is fajita night :) - our favourite! Lots of chopping and dicing - I got a great chopping/dicing device for Christmas (oh the joys of receiving practical kitchen gadgets) which really speeds up the process and saves my sprained (?) finger (jammed it at volleyball before Christmas). It's not getting any better so went and had an x-ray done yesterday. 

So my advice is to make light of the darkness - read a funny book (I'm reading Bill Bryson's "Notes from a Small Island" which made me guffaw in the lab's waiting room yesterday. Snuggle with your pets, have a light meal (SOUP), paint a poster...or a picture, dance in the kitchen while you wait for the kettle to boil, have a nice cuppa, and remember that while it is dark as a dungeon out there we are actually getting 2, yes TWO more minutes of "light"every day now til the summer equinox! 

Yahoo!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!