Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Designing a Barn

I had the most fun today! And it didn't cost me a single penny....YET!! It will eventually cost quite a few pennies but I won't mind parting with a single one. I spent the day designing my "barn to be"!

See that funny little picture up there? That's my land and my house in PEI. Ya gotta love google earth:) The first thing, and probably the hardest was deciding where to place my barn. So many things had to be taken into account. It's not just about the barn - it's about where my "forest enhancement project" will be located, where my vegetable garden would grow the best, where my laneway will be, how big my kitchen and mudroom extension will be, how large the deck addition will be, where the existing trees are and so on and so on. And most importantly it can't block any of my fabulous views of Casumpec Bay!

Ok, I have that part figured out. Now I have to decide on the style of the barn and how big it will be and how much I can afford to spend. Here's what I know so far: it will be roughly 20' x 24' or  28', it will have a lean-to on one end for storing wood, it will have either a half-loft or full-loft to use as a writing nook and artist's studio/workshop, and a covered porch along one side. Haven't fully decided whether it will have a gable or gambrel roof yet.

It needs to be large enough to hold our car and a tractor plus gardening tools. It will provide storage for the necessities of country life but will also be a sanctuary for those creative hours I will be spending on writing, carving and other artistic pursuits - perhaps a dark room? a pottery wheel? woodworking?

Tonight I shall dream about my barn and the many ways it will fill my well to overflowing. Oh yes, I may need to attach a chicken coop to it somewhere too!
Did I mention that I love barns?
And sheds?

13 comments:

  1. A dark room and a pottery wheel and chickens? I want to come visit when you retire. I think I want to have dreams of your barn too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fun task. I would definitely go 2 story with a loft environment for my space to be creative. Probably include a deck with a sliding glass door for breaks, to grab a drink and sit on my deck surveying the land.

    Have fun building your dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you're planning this already! You'll have a good plan in place by the time you're fully moved in. You might also want to take into consideration the level of the land, drainage is quite important around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun to plan ahead! It makes it seem more real when you begin to make plans more concrete. Your property and your barn sound idyllic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi sis: I keep seeing how much we have in common..I love barns and sheds too..thankfully we have two on our property, plus an old wooden garage and outhouse..that will be my garden shed someday..hopefully we can fix said sheds etc. before they all get blown down! My little shed had chickens at one time so the roost is still there..guess we may both be researching raising chickens! great overview of your place..isn't this all fun :)luv L.Dee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marguerite - I think you are becoming my "go to" person when I finally get to PEI full-time:) I think the drainage is good there - the house seems to be on the highest point of the land and I am planning for the barn to be close to the house, but I will definitely check into that - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Borrower: funny, I had thought about a lookout tower with room for sitting and enjoying the views, not sure yet how to incorporate that into the design but it is definitely on the drawing board:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Niki - please come visit!! And this whole exercise is about making my dreams come true! I've worked hard and this will finally be a time in my life when I get to do everything MY WAY:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lannie: you're lucky to have so many outbuildings! I feel lucky too though in getting to design one exactly for our needs. It sure is fun to look ahead and dream:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have a summer kitchen, blacksmith shop, dairy shed, horse shed, mini horsenshed, quanset (sp?) shed, old fashion granery shed, and a Morton building (fancy shed--LOL). They all need to be repaired here and there. You've actually inspired me to get off my butt and stop taking them for granted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there There was an article in Dec. Jan. (winter edition) Harrowsmith Country Living Jane about barns that may be of interest to you. Hope you are enjoying March Break. Ours is next week here on PEI!! YEAH!!
    Island hugs,
    Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love barns too! And silos, and anything related to farm life. I always had a dream of living on a farm or a vineyard - but never actually doing the work, someone else would do that. :)

    Happy dreaming!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kendra: I have seen that article - thanks! When we hang out at the local library Harrowsmith and The Atlantic magazines are two of my favourite reads:) I think Harrowsmith is one of the best magazines EVER!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!