Monday, June 12, 2017

Ferry Life - Still Day One

"Hello my lovelies" (stealing a line from Lena) - I miss her!

Kazi booked a rental car for me at Enterprise where she currently works which is why I flew into Vancouver airport instead of Victoria. Vancouver having an Enterprise location while Victoria doesn't.

 However, it turned out Enterprise wasn't at the airport after all - I had to find and then hop on board a shuttle to the off-site Enterprise location. It wasn't far, and I found the shuttle easily after getting excellent instructions from the wonderful old guy at the info desk.

The young fellow at Enterprise gave me directions to get to the Tsawwassen ferry depot which I followed meticulously but still ended up going north on Hwy. 99 instead of south. If there was one thing I knew for sure (and one thing was about all I knew at this point!) it was that I should be heading south! So I got myself turned around and found Tsawwassen with about an hour to spare.

If I go out again to B.C., which I would love to do - I may reconsider flying into Vancouver. Another reason for that is the additional price I had to pay to take the B.C. Ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay on Vancouver Island. It was definitely more expensive than I thought. It was around $50 for my rental car, $20 for 1 adult, and fees and taxes bringing it over $80 one way! Though I do enjoy a ferry ride.


A huge part of this ferry location is the OOCL - Orient Overseas Container Line which the Tsawwassen First Nations people helped to construct.
Orient Overseas Container Line


It was a beautiful day for a crossing. 

 It was cool and windy but there were areas where the sun shone warmly and those who braved being outside gravitated to those.  I caught my reflection in a couple of photos.



We could see the Olympic Mountains on the Olympic Peninsula of western Washington.

And periodically we'd see another B.C. Ferry chugging away.

I wish I knew why the water changed suddenly from a greeny grey colour to a blackish blue colour. Does anyone know?


The journey took about 1.5 hours and eventually we got close to a number of islands.



I didn't get any photos of Swartz Bay as we had to head back to our cars in preparation to disembark. I always get into a bit of a panic at this point as there are about 2,000 black cars and I'm just looking for ONE!  And that is why I memorized my license plate number, well, the first 3 letters anyways!
Once we were off the ferry I was caught in a huge swarm of cars heading to Victoria. The going was slow but on the bright side it was impossible to get lost!

Have you ever gotten lost on a holiday?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!