Thursday, January 18, 2018

Sugar Withdrawal

Why oh why do I feel like crap? As I went through another night of tossing and turning and waking up at 4am to wander the house I had an aha moment and no, I don't have the flu but that would be ironic...no?

I realized it was day 4 of eliminating sugar from my diet. Unlike Annie at Northern Living Allowance I'm not following a specific programme though it probably would have been a good idea!


I don't have all of the withdrawal symptoms but am not enjoying the ones I do have: mood swings, anxiety and depression, insomnia and cravings of course; the worst being insomnia. My head feels like it is full of wool and concentration is definitely impaired. I can't even claim to be 100% sugar-free as so many foods contain added sugar - even a bagel has refined sugar in it. And dried fruit has a lot and I've still been adding a few currants to my morning oatmeal.  Probably even the pasta I cooked last night had sugar in it...I'm going to go check....nope, surprisingly it doesn't but I buy pasta now made from brown rice and quinoa so that's probably why. But I did go cold turkey on sweets, candy, cookies, leftover Christmas treats and so on. If I can eliminate that kind of stuff and start feeling "normal" again I'll be happy. Man - sugar is everywhere!!

And...it is so addictive!


Are you trying to eliminate anything from your diet? If so, how is it going?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!