Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Rain, Freezing Rain, Ice Pellets, Snow, High Winds

I suppose I shouldn't complain about getting "winter weather" at this time of year but I don't think it's fair that we are on the receiving end of a "Colorado" low, a polar vortex from the "Arctic", an "Alberta Clipper" bringing high winds and snow squalls all day today...well you get the picture!  Keep your own gol' darn weather to yourselves and stop sending it this way!

Sigh...no doubt y'all are getting your own fair share of crappy weather...but do we have to get it all at once? Spread it around Mother Nature - we don't need rain, freezing rain, snow, ice pellets, whiteouts and crazy winds all in one day! And now I think I need a cup of tea!

There, that's better... a cuppa fixes most things. On the one hand I don't mind a couple of guilt-free days when I stay inside, read a novel, work on genealogy, watch a couple extra episodes of "Shetland", cuddle with the cats and do some baking...BUT I do miss getting out to play volleyball or power walk on the indoor track at the BMO Centre. I tried to get to volleyball on Tuesday but first I had to clear the car of several inches of snow pellets. That wasn't so bad. But after going inside for 10 minutes I came back to the car to find the doors frozen shut due to freezing rain. There was so much freezing rain buildup that by suppertime I couldn't get the front door open! Help!!

Fortunately, on Sunday, I was able to get out for a walk in Kilally Meadows. It was hard walking due to last week's freezing rain but I had a walking stick which helped me out several times. So I was able to check on the beaver-ravaged tree and found out that the BEAVER WON! I was rooting for the tree but the ending was inevitable :( 

It looks as though the tree is bending over in pain - no doubt it is!!






Can you see the alien face below? 

How about now?

Or now?

Sorry  I couldn't resist!

                                                      So how's the winter where you are? 
                                           I know that B.C., (British Columbia, Canada), is 
                                            getting  record-breaking snowstorms...as they 
                                   are usually the TROPICS of Canada, even in the winter, 
                                                  I'm not really feeling that bad :)  

8 comments:

  1. We were relatively lucky when I was in Wales. Oh howling wind and rain all right but seemingly never when we had to be out of the car! Now back in France it's beautiful sunshine too. It's weird isn't it. I had to laugh about your car icing up though - I have twice pulled the door handle off my car as the rubber trim has frozen solid! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, freezing rain is the worst, hard to combat it - at least with snow you can shovel. Yes, we got lots of snow but I am tired of everything coming to a standstill when that happens here on Vancouver Island. Other parts of the country deal with it - no one seems to here except people who have lived previously in much harsher climates. Anyway, I think everyone is ready for Spring. I think I have a case of the blues, some sunshine and the ability to walk my dog would fix that rather than having to shovel. Yes, that tree totally looked like alien lol. My best friend is from Ontario and misses the sunny cold winters...but after a couple of days of snow here she said she is retracting that statement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think freezing rain is the worst. Love the alien face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A full day of sleet and freezing rain here yesterday....the deck is a skating rink! lolz
    At least you can take consolation in that you don't have to drive to WORK in it.....

    Where did you find that photo of Kim on the internet?? *snort*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to be the crappy one and tell all of you it is drop dead gorgeous here. So beautiful that TheHub called just a few minutes ago to suggest we cook out and have a drink on the porch while it is (whatever it is) cooking. Feel free to be snarky with me in June when it is nearly 100 , sunny with 80 percent humidity and no chance of rain in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh your post has made me shiver. This year's Yorkshire winter has been milder than many and the past week has been almost springlike during the day but with frost overnight. Fortunately with the days lengthening, it has generally dissipated before I venture out. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here in Sydney it's just one long heat wave and I'm pretty over it.
    I can't even imagine rain freezing doors shut so I guess we really have quite mild weather most of the time.

    I hope spring is just around the corner for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Mum said that the snow on the Island rivalled or exceeded that of the Blizzard of '96 (which I remember clearly), but when I talked to her last week, it was on its way out. Phew! We've had a week of abnormally warm days - 17-20C! - and it's been quite fantastic. We're expecting rain for the next week or so now. Back to normal! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!