Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Now I do Have a Reason to Complain...

Serves me right! The moment I think I have nothing to complain about...well, you know what happens right?!


I bought a package of fresh fiddleheads from Farm Boy on Monday - I just couldn't resist. My dad was a great wild food forager and he usually brought some fiddleheads home from his spring rambles. I loved them!

I steamed them until they were tender but apparently not long enough to kill the toxins that some fiddleheads contain. My bad. Those toxins can cause food poisoning unfortunately. Or it could have been caused by poor storage as stated below.

"Fiddleheads are the curled, edible shoots of the ostrich fern and are considered a seasonal delicacy in many parts of Canada. ... Fiddleheads can cause food poisoning if they have not been stored, prepared or cooked properly."  Canada.ca/health

I doubt I'll forget about the ill effects of two large helpings of fiddleheads next spring. Though remind me will you?! I ate a lot of them because my daughter sniffed at them and said "no thanks"! Smarty pants! 

Anyhoo, I had the cramps, nausea, headache and other less pleasant symptoms last night. Today I still have a bit of cramping but am feeling 95%  better. 

Lesson learned: cook fiddleheads til they turn to mush & keep my smug complaint-free thoughts to myself!!

Have you eaten fiddleheads? I still think they are delicious :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!